The success of a YouTube channel depends on how many views the video collects. But to achieve user attention, it is not enough to create good content - you need to make people easily find you. The Rite Tutorials author talks about effective ways of SEO-promotion on YouTube.
Step 1. Keyword Selection
Setting up SEO on YouTube begins with the selection of keywords and the compilation of a semantic core. To do this, you must:
- Create a list of prospective / potential keywords. The easiest way is to go to YouTube and use the autofill feature. You just need to enter a word or phrase in the search box. Video hosting will automatically pull up several options that are similar in meaning. These are the popular searches people enter on YouTube. Use the hint and add them to the list of promoted words.
- Analyze popular videos in your niche and copy their keywords. Keyword optimization is a major aspect of SEO on YouTube. If a video has many views, it’s probably optimized for a popular keyword.
- Use the YouTube Analytics report on traffic sources to search for keywords. On the “Views” tab, you can find individual reports for different types of traffic sources. We’re interested in YouTube Search, the search queries that led viewers to the video. The disadvantage of this method is that these keywords have already been used for promotion. But sometimes you can find some new ones.
After generating the list, it is necessary to select keywords for promotion, giving preference to those that do not have much competition.
Competitiveness is determined by the number of search results for certain phrases in the Google search engine. The higher it is, the more popular the keyword is and the more difficult it will be to break into the first lines of the rating.
Most views on YouTube are carried out directly from the platform, but the video will receive 2-5 times more traffic if it can be found in a search engine. The trick is to optimize the video for keywords that already exist in the search results.
All you need to do is make sure that the target keyword receives at least 100 requests per month from Google (this information can be obtained using the Google Keyword Planner ).
Unlike the “regular” first page of a listing with a list of ten sites, Google reserves an area for video results for certain keywords.
Typically, Google uses video results for the following types of keywords:
- Everything related to fitness or sports.
- Funny videos.
Step 2. Interaction with the audience
For a video to rank better in SERPs, it should interest and capture the attention of users. The time people devote to watching a video is called audience retention.
Here are some important factors that influence YouTube’s ranking:
- Comments on the video.
Comments strongly correlate with high ratings in search results. Therefore, it is important to ask viewers to express their opinion and respond to them on time. Leaving a comment, a person sends a YouTube signal that the video interests him.
- Subscription after watching the video.
If someone subscribes to the channel after watching the video, it shows YouTube’s algorithms that the content is interesting. This means that the video will be better ranked. Ask people to subscribe at the end of the video. This is a simple and obvious step that significantly affects the promotion.
- Video sharing.
A huge number of people share videos on social networks such as Twitter and Facebook. You need to remember this. When a video hosting company sees that people are distributing information about the videos they’ve watched, he considers them to be quality content. Also, thanks to social networks, traffic on YouTube is increasing.
- Clickthrough rate (CTR).
It turns out that YouTube pays close attention to what kind of video the user selects in the search. Obviously, the higher the CTR of the movie, the better. A great way to increase your clickthrough rate is to create compelling previews with clickable headers.
- The duration of the video.
As with text articles on Google, more detailed videos are rated better. For example, if you enter the word WordPress on YouTube, 2 of the 4 best videos will be longer than 40 minutes.
However, you should not focus on the duration of the video, it is better to focus your efforts on creating high-quality and interesting content. If the video is interesting, then people will watch it.
Step 3. Optimize YouTube videos
- Keyword out loud.
Say the keyword in the video itself. So YouTube will better understand that your content matches this request and will raise its rating.
- The title of the video.
We recommend using at least 5 words in the title of the video. You can enter the main key request in it. The keyword / phrase should be at the beginning of the title.
The video description helps YouTube and Google understand its context. And the better they understand it, the higher the rating and the more often the video will be displayed on the sidebar “Suggested video”.
Key recommendations for description:
- Include the key in the first 25 words.
- Write a description of at least 250 words.
- Use the keyword 2-4 times.
Add a few keywords to show YouTube and Google what the video is about. Target tags not only help you rank by keyword, but also see yourself more often in similar videos in the YouTube sidebar.
Use competitor tags. If the tags of popular content from users and your video match, there is a good chance to appear in the "Suggested videos" section.
In the article we gave only basic tips and advice. Do not forget to constantly improve your channel - to study the audience, the content received by the response from the viewer - and always be one step ahead of the competition.